Underwater Photography Workshops
Advanced Underwater Photography
2-Day Workshop – $450
Join Matty for a 2-day workshop to learn:
- Over/Under split shot techniques
- Wide Angle techniques
- Macro techniques
- Advanced lighting
- How to select the best lenses & ports
- Shooting for competitions
- Post production
MAX NUMBER OF STUDENTS PER CLASS: 4
There are no upcoming dates schedules.
To register your interest in the next workshop please email me at email@example.com .
You’ll be the first to know the next dates are released.
Want to take your photography to the next level?
- You’ve been shooting for a while and understand the basics (exposure, composition, basic lighting) but are looking to step up your game.
- You’ve been focusing on one style of photography and want to diversify and expand your skill set
- You can’t seem to bridge the gap between the images you’re currently creating and the ones you have pictured in your mind.
- You’re sick of taking ‘me too’ shots, you know – the ones that look like they are straight out of a fish ID book. You want to start making memorable images that really pop.
- Start shooting and post processing with competitions in mind.
Well my friend, I’ve got some good news for you.
During the Advanced Workshop we’ll delve deep into the techniques listed.
The two days are broken up into Macro, Wide Angle and Over Under. Each of these topics have their own technical and aesthetic challenges which I’ll walk through with you step by step.
My aim is for you is to build your confidence in creating publishable and competition ready pictures.
The post dive picture review and appraisal section of the workshop will help you identify areas of improvement.
I’ll be on hand to help you resolve any problems in real time, as they occur in a relatable and down to earth way.
I highly recommend this excellent, value-for-money course. I learned so much. Even the first 10 minutes helped changed my photography dramatically.
My photography has come on leaps and bounds with Matt’s expert help and guidance. I will certainly be back for more!
8:30am start for the classroom session
- Wide Angle Session
- Quick recap on exposure techniques
- Dome Port and lens selection, understanding the technicalities
- Optimising image quality
- Advanced lighting
- Shooting natural light
- Understanding histograms
- Over/Under Session
- Equipment selection
- Understanding the virtual image and dome port size effect
- Over under close focus wide angle
- Where to focus for best results
- How to prevent water droplets on your ports
- Lunch (provided)
- Macro Session
- Equipment selection
- The use of wet lenses
- Lighting techniques
- Creating a black background in daylight
- Open ocean black water shooting techniques at night
- Accurate focusing
- Dive 1 Local Dive Spot – approx 3pm
- Dive 2 Local Dive Spot – approx 7am
- Coffee & Breakfast
11:30am start for the classroom session
- Post Production
- Dive photo appraisal
- Debrief & Refresh any Topics
NB) All times are approximate and will be determined by the speed at which we progress through the course material.
*A final weather check will be conducted with the Bureau of Meteorology on the morning of each workshop. This may lead to the workshop being postponed in cases of unfavourable weather reports or very poor/dangerous diving conditions.
NB) Classes are run subject to acquiring minimum numbers
- Be a qualified and competent SCUBA diver
- Own a water proof camera with full manual (M) mode (preferred but not essential)
- Have an underwater flash (strobe) or constant light source
- Have a laptop computer for photo download and assessment
- Have photo editing software (Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom is preffered, if you don’t have either of these please download a free 30 day software trial of Photoshop less than 30 days prior to the last day of the course and install on your laptop)
Please bring with you a pen and notepad for note taking.
Tuition with Matty Smith
2x Air or Nitrox fills
Lunch on day 1
Book and checkout online, however if you are booking in person, a $100 deposit is required. The remaining $350 is payable at the dive shop upon arrival.
Should you require any dive gear everything is available for hire for an extra cost through the dive shop. Should you need to hire gear please be sure to arrive a little earlier in order to sort out what you need.