Underwater Photography Workshops
An introduction to underwater photography
2-Day Workshop – $395
Join Matty for a 2-day workshop to learn:
- Exposure techniques to unlock your creative potential
- How to bring out the best in underwater colours
- Balancing ambient light & artificial light
- Composition techniques
- Photography etiquette
- How to approach underwater subjects
- Post production & work-flow
MAX NUMBER OF STUDENTS PER CLASS: 5
Upcoming Workshop Dates
There are no upcoming dates schedules.
To register your interest in the next workshop please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org .
You’ll be the first to know when the next dates are released.
So you've got a camera you've been using in auto mode.
- You know you should probably learn how to use it in manual mode but have no idea where to begin or whether it’ll even make that much difference.
- You feel like you have zero creative control over your photographs.
- You can’t seem to bridge the gap between the images you’re currently creating and the ones you have pictured in your mind.
- You’re sick of taking ‘me too’ shots, you know – the ones that look like they are straight out of a fish ID book. You want to start making memorable images that really pop.
Well my friend, I’ve got some good news for you.
Most of the techniques behind great photography are actually very simple, some times we just need to be shown them to fully understand.
One of the first things we’ll do is take your camera out of Auto and switch it over to Manual. This is where your creative control is unleashed.
I’ll be on hand to help you resolve any problems in real time, as they occur in a relatable and down to earth way.
I learned more in two days of this workshop than years of trial and error. I can now take an in-focus shot with a defined subject and beautiful blue water in the background!
I was actually modifying and streamlining my camera rig mid-class in anticipation of applying new techniques. I had a dive slate filled with scribbles of different settings to experiment with. I walk away with a deeper appreciation of subject illumination as well as the confidence to begin entering competitions.
9am start for the classroom session
- Setting up Your Camera – File Formats, White Balance, Focusing & Mode
- Nailing Manual Exposure- Taking Creative Control
- Underwater Colours – The use of External Light Source
- Compostion Techniques
- Underwater Photography Etiquette
- Approaching Subjects
- Lunch (provided)
- Dive 1 Local Dive Spot – approx 2pm
- Dive 2 Local Dive Spot – approx 7am
- Coffee & Breakfast
10:30am start for the classroom session
- Post Production & Work Flow
- Debrief & Refresh any Topics
NB) All times are approximate and will be determined by the speed at which we progress through the course material.
*A final weather check will be conducted with the Bureau of Meteorology on the morning of each workshop. This may lead to the workshop being postponed in cases of unfavourable weather reports or very poor/dangerous diving conditions.
NB) Classes are run subject to acquiring minimum numbers
- Be a qualified and competent SCUBA diver
- Own a water proof camera with full manual (M) mode (preferred but not essential)
- Have an underwater flash (strobe) or constant light source
- Have a laptop computer for photo download and assessment
- Have photo editing software (Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom is preffered, if you don’t have either of these please download a free 30 day software trial of Photoshop less than 30 days prior to the last day of the course and install on your laptop)
Please bring with you a pen and notepad for note taking.
Tuition with Matty Smith
2x Air or Nitrox fills
Lunch on day 1
Book and checkout online, however if you are booking in person, a $100 deposit is required. The remaining $295 is payable at the dive shop upon arrival.
Should you require any dive gear everything is available for hire for an extra cost through the dive shop. Should you need to hire gear please be sure to arrive a little earlier in order to sort out what you need.